If you take the time to monitor what you eat and how much you exercise, it’s really important for you not to forget to extend these habits into your housekeeping routine. This is because countless items in your home are contaminated with harsh chemicals that slowly accumulate into your tissues and cause toxic overload. These items could potentially be cancer causing products.
While it’s best to only buy organic homemade or traditional products, here are 7 possible cancer causing products and household items you should replace as soon as possible.
Respected academic and scientist David Suzuki reports that 80% common household products contain at least one of the 12 most toxic chemicals, which include carcinogens and endocrine disruptors like parabens, sodium laureth sulfate, formaldehyde-releasing preservatives and p-phenylenediamine (1).
When it comes to shampoo, parabens, fragrance, color and cocamide diethanolamine are the worst offenders. But these chemical aren’t just in shampoo : it’s estimated that 1 in 8 of the82,000 ingredients used in personal care products are industrial chemicals, including carcinogens, pesticides, reproductive toxins, and hormone disruptors. Even some “organic” or “natural” shampoo brands can contain harsh chemicals,
Instead just make your own or ditch the shampo
o once and for all.
Although they may be given names like “summer breeze” or “strawberry shortcake”, scented candles are far from natural. In fact, most candles-even unscented ones-contain formaldehyde, an incredibly harmful chemical that emits toxic fumes when heated.
Instead use all-natural beeswax candles with a cotton-wick to light up your home
3. Air Fresheners
Air fresheners and perfumes contain fragrance, which uses up to 3,000 chemicals to create a particular scent. These can lead to neurological problems, poor immunity, autoimmune disorders, dermatitis, respiratory distress, asthma, eye irritation, cancer, allergies, infertility, miscarriage, and so much more.
Worse yet, the ingredients are not required to be listed on the products, meaning that you never really know what you’re breathing in.
Instead make your own room spray with water, a teaspoon almond oil and 20 drops of so of your favorite essential oil in a 2oz spray bottle.
4. Shower Curtains
When it comes to shower curtains, PVC and vinyl have been popular for dozen years but there’s increasing evidence that show that one of these materials aren’t safe. Researchers found that PVC shower curtains can release up to 108 Volatile Organic Compounds, including 7 which are on the EPA’s list of hazardous air pollutants (6).
Every time you shower, you breathe in these compounds. Prolonged exposed is linked to damage of the liver, central nervous system, respiratory system, reproductive system, and can contribute to developmental damage.
Instead, buy organic cotton or hemp curtains and wash and iron them often to prevent mold.
5. Art Supplies
Art supplies like glue, paint and permanent markers shouldn’t be used by your children during craft time. In fact, the products are known to cause headaches, nausea, burns, breathing problems, lung and kidney damage as well as cancer.
This is the reason that so many craft products have warning labels that caution that the product should not be inhaled, ingested or placed on skin (7).
Instead, look for the AP or CP seal on the products you give you children, which proves that they are non-toxic. Better yet, replace water with water and spices like mustard or turmeric, replace markers with charcoal or make homemade glue using flour and water.
6. Insecticides and Pesticides
These products don’t just kill bugs, they slowly poison your family too! These products work by using neurotoxins, like pyrethoids, which can lead to Parkinson’s disease in humans. The products are particularly harmful too children, who are more sensitive to environmental toxins and can even cause illness and death to house pets.
By now, you’ve probably heard that anti-antiperspirants and deodorants often contain aluminum to keep your armpits dry. The use of these products have been linked to the onset of Alzheimer’s disease and breast cancer because aluminum is hard for your body expel and tends to accumulate in the tissues of the brain and breast. Worst of all, they actually make you smell worse in the long run.